Looking for an easy rolled sugar cookie recipe? Well, here it is. Seriously, the Best Sugar Cookie Recipe ever. I’ve been using it for years, and can’t believe I’ve never shared it on my blog before. It’s probably because my kids think this is some super-secret recipe that should remain in the family. I say, more cookies for all!
The credit for this recipe goes to my mother-in-law, who recited it over the phone to my husband one Christmas when he saw my struggles with trying to make sugar cookies. He’s nice like that! (I’m not even going to comment on how my cookies never measured up to his beloved family cookies – oops, guess I just did 😉 Before I used this recipe, I had sticky, uncooperative cookie dough that caused quite a few cursing fits.
Now, I’m known for these cookies. People love them. I roll them sorta thick, and they rise nicely into soft, chewy cookies. My mother-in-law gets crispy cookies from this same recipe by rolling them super thin. Roll accordingly.
So, here it is:
Best Sugar Cookies Ever Recipe
- 1 cup butter (softened but not melted)
- 2.5 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla
- Cookie cutters (or a glass)
- Sugar to sprinkle on top
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream together softened butter and sugar (my Kitchenaid is perfect for this!)
- Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour.
- Mix until it starts to form a ball.
- Most important step: cover ball of dough and REFRIGERATE for at least an hour. It can be longer, but chilling the dough is my secret.
- Roll out cookies using a well-floured rolling pin on a well-floured counter.
- Cut out and place cookies on parchment paper to avoid sticking and mess.
- Sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes (check bottom of cookie for slight browning, if yes, they’re done).
Oh, a final note – feel free to double this recipe. Even a double batch doesn’t last in my house!